Home

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Day 1: 30 Days - 30 Paintings - Feb. 2018

Welcome to Day 1 of yet another 30 day challenge!  

This will be a process of unfolding as I ease back into life in the studio.  Jump on board with me - and let's take a ride!  

Today I'm presenting a 're-fashioned' painting that happens to be one of my favorites - so much so that it is the background on my phone - therefore I see it every day.  I never tire of looking at it, which tells me a lot about the piece!  It has deep personal meaning to me, which can be seen in the description that I wrote for it on my website:

This painting was inspired by a profound experience while in the presence of the standing stones at Callanish on the Isle of Lewis, in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland.  It was June, it was 10:00 p.m. and the sun was still shining.  What was even more surprising was that aside from a flock of sheep - we were the only (seemingly human) beings there.  The ancient site is massive - roughly the size of a football field - and the towering stones stand majestically in a Celtic cross formation.  It is truly impressive.  The bold colors and design  in the painting are indicative of the strength of the experience.

The closest town to Callanish is Stornoway, population about 8,000 - which by-the-way happened to have an amazing Chinese restaurant (hence the Chinese papers incorporated in the painting).  Although mixing cultural symbols, if you look closely you may actually find a Sri Yantra or two.  It's time to get the Celtic symbols out...

I decided to take it to the next level and mounted it on a larger canvas panel which I prepared with black gesso.  I love it even more now if that's possible!

Take a look and see what you think:

Callanish - revisited
Acrylic & Multi-media on watercolor paper 
mounted on a 12" x 12" deep edge canvas

12" x 12" x 1 1/2" canvas gessoed black




and visit my website:  http://cagleyart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...